If you’re considering buying or selling your home—or helping your parents with a move—you’ll want to select a real estate professional who is both qualified and aligned with your priorities and preferences. These questions can help you make the best decision.
1. Are they qualified? When you are going through significant life changes, you want someone with experience, knowledge, and a helpful attitude to help you sort through your options. An agent who’s earned the Seniors Real Estate Specialist® (SRES®) designation has completed exclusive training on a wide range of issues that can impact real estate transactions when the client(s) are ages 50+.
2. Do they listen to your needs and answer your questions? Listening is a crucial skill for a senior specialist. Your agent should ask you questions and ensure they understand your answers. That way, they can be more successful in identifying and prioritizing your needs and can offer options best suited to your current situation and future expectations.
3. What do past clients say? A friend or relative may have confidently referred you to an agent, but it can also be helpful to hear additional perspectives. Search for online reviews, or ask the agent for names and contact details for two or three past clients. Then, give them a call and discuss their buying or selling experience.
4. Can they offer helpful suggestions for related service providers? Whether you’re preparing a home for sale or gearing up for a purchase, an experienced real estate professional may be able to shortcut the process of identifying reliable providers for various services, so you can pick and choose among people the agent knows and trusts. These resources can be precious if you are supporting a loved one from afar or need assistance cleaning out a home and preparing it for sale.
5. Do you feel at ease? Working with a real estate professional is a partnership. But, as with any healthy partnership, there must be confidence and an ability to be open and forthcoming about your needs and desires. SRES® designees stand out as prioritizing service and trust in every real estate transaction
Count on an SRES® to guide you through the process of buying or selling your home, making the transaction less stressful and more successful. The Seniors Real Estate Specialist ® (SRES®) designation is awarded by the SRES® Council, a subsidiary of the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR). T
Cheri Wilkins, Realtor 360-451-5556
VanDorm Realty 1530 Black Lake Blvd SW Olympia, WA 98502
Information provided by Senior Real Estate Newsletter